Saturday, October 13, 2007

Painful Fall


One thing I have come to realize about myself latley is how awfully perfectionistic I am. I adore the picturesque and spend far too much of my life striving for the ideal. One of the interesting things about Oxford is how incredibly idyllic it is, especially now that autumn has arrived. There have been several times in the past few weeks that I have found myself in udder awe of the surroundings in which I find myself. I was walking back from a run in the park today, the light was shifting as the sun passed between the clouds and trees. Undisturbed houses rested beneath the layer of ivy that now makes itself at home there and a strange sound filled the air. It wasn't the dull roar of the traffic on Banbury, the quiet tread of my tennis shoes or the murmur of students walking back from Meticulation. The soft rustling of papers, the sound of moving branches and fallings leaves filled the air. Though the sound of a single leaf falling to the ground may go unnoticed, the concert of gently swaying branches and crinkle of color touching down is something else entirely, like a soft lullaby under the cover of clouds.

Have you ever experienced moments like that? Where the sun sets just right over a hilltop or the you lose your breath at the sight of the waves crashing against the cold grey stone of ancient cliffs? The same feeling can be inspired by something as deceptively simple as the color of the berries when the sun catches them during my walk home down Crick Road. It is then that I am shrouded with an ache that I only sense at the sight of true beauty. I think that if I lived in an utterly beautiful world I may not be able to stand it, for the ache would entirely consume and overcome me. This must be what Eden felt like. And yet I do not think that a perfect world, a world that is always and at all times filled with this kind of beauty, would cause pain, for I believe that the ache I sense at the sight of beauty is not due entirely to the beauty itself, but to the longings it stirs within me, the longing to live in the perfect world that my heart and soul were created for.

I do not think I have experienced anything as truly beautiful as the season of fall. It is the most magnificent display of death I have yet beheld. One of the greatest life-truths I have been taught comes from the autumn trees themselves. Their leaves, so full of vibrant green life, do not truly change color come summer's end. The vibrant reds, bright yellows, oranges, golds and deep browns have always been there. But it is in death, in the draining of the life-sustaining green chlorophyll, that they come through. Oh to go through such a transformation myself, to learn how to die to all that consumes me, the self-sustaining tendencies that hide the colors within. And so I hope, wish and pray for death. I know no greater way to become truly alive.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Amanda, these are beautiful thoughts! This may be my most favorite of your entries yet. I am humbled and inspired all at once by the picture of God's glorious gift of nature you have painted.

Amen and Amen!

Anonymous said...

I might just have to use that last sentence in a sermon. You better get this stuff under a copyright! ;)

Anonymous said...

Amanda, you continue to truly amaze me. Your ability to communicate inner and deep feelings and thoughts are a real gift from our Lord. Your words remind me of the times when I yearn for an even closer walk with Jesus...how the things of this world must become less and He must become more...for that is where full and complete contentment is realized and where true life begins. Love ya, Dally

Anonymous said...

I am stunned but not suprised by your inspiring writing and thoughts. How very evident that God has truly given you a most wonderful gift. Your entry is moving and lovely. I am also impressed with Dad's comment as well! I don't know if I can take all this talent :) My heart is full of thankfulness for you my Mana.
Love,
Marmee

Anonymous said...

beautifully written :)

Anonymous said...

Amanda, your fall leaves analogy really touched me. It is really a treat to read such wonderful writing. I hope you're enjoying the beauty of fall in England!