Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cleaning Up and Soaking In

I have decided that few things few quite so nice as having a clean room (I shall pause for the gasp that no doubt will leave my mother's mouth). The fact that I need to clean, organize and put things in place assures me that I have in fact made 8 Crick Road my home. This is a mixed blessing knowing that I will be leaving in less than 7 weeks. But for the remainder of my time here I think I would prefer to feel I have things (or at least my living space) under control.

My whole being feels simplified once I have vaccumed the carpet and thrown out all those lecture papers I'll never look at again (sad, but true). There is only so much room in my head, my drawers, my bags and my computer for new information. Even as there will be a very limited amount of space in my suitcase when I pack to come home. (I fear I have procured too much the way it is).

It's interesting the way we fill space. Even now I am filling the hours that remain between now and bedtime. There are a number of ways I could choose to spend those hours. I've opted to decline homework for the moment. My calendar (iCal) is becoming rather full as well - lectures, tutorials, lunch dates, Bible study, day trips, visitors and the like. My time here is really quite limited. How will I spend it? What will benefit me most? What do I wish to experience? I truly wish I could disregard the question of "how much does this cost?" and simply ask myself if the activity in question is worth the investment of my time. Unfortunately that "simple" question has no simple answer.

This coming weekend I hope to start (or perhaps continue?) spending my time wisely. I intend to take a 3 mile walk through Port Meadow to visit The Trout (an amazing waterside pub/restaurant). I hope to catch an actual bus tour of Oxford, climb Carfax tour, each fish and chips and tour the Oxford Castle. Though I enjoy my Lewis readings and am learning time and again the lesson of dying and loving selflessly, my mind can only take so much intellectual stimulation without soaking up some culture and having some fun. If only there were more time to soak it up. The next seven weeks will come and go all too quickly, all the more reason for me to make the most of the time I have.

No comments: