Friday, October 19, 2007

What is your quest?


I am presently at the start of the weekend that falls between the second and third week of the 8 week (or in my case 9 week) term. During first week I read the Chronicles of Narnia, which tells the tales of eight children and their journeys through Narnia. During second week I read Phantastes, a faerie story/fantasy novel by George MacDonald and C. S. Lewis's greatest source of inspiration. The story is that of the quest of Anodos who enters the land of faerie as an aimless wanderer on an unforeseen journey (hence the name Anodos which means "aimless"). This week I am reading Till We have Faces and other myths concerning Cupid and Psyche. I have been working on a piece of creative writing documenting the eventful and unexpected trip I took to Rome several weeks ago. In Discuss we have been studying the book of Exodus and the journey of the Israelites from slavery to freedom. All of this leaves me wondering just what kind of adventure I have embarked on and what shape my own quest will take.
I began this journey knowing where it would start (London) and when it would end (December 18), but the rest is quite uncertain. I, like Anodos, am aimlessly wandering, coming in contact with new people and experiences. I wonder, what will come of this adventure? When one embarks on a journey they never return the same. As Anodos makes his way through the land of faerie he learns from his experiences what nothing else could teach him - humility, love, freedom. What am I to learn? What have I begun to learn already? How will I be taught? What will I encounter?
I have journeyed to ancient cathedrals and historic ruins and I have begun to realize that though architecture changes and the world crumbles the God I worship is the same yesterday, today and forever. I have followed the Israelites from Goshen to Sinai and I am becoming aware of the need to depend on God daily. I have walked through the parks, the English countryside, the palace gardens and along the river and I ache to be a part of the beauty around me.
I daily ask myself why I am here and what I am to learn before I return home. I've yet to reach an answer. I am in a period of learning, of seeing and seraching, though truly I know not what I am looking for. I wonder if I will when I find it. Or perhaps when I lose it. At the end of his own journey Anodos states, "Thus I, who set out to find my Ideal, came back rejoicing that I had lost my Shadow.” If I can claim the same for myself, all will have been worth it.

No comments: