Yesterday I fell down the White Cliffs of Dover. Lest my parents become too concerned I am perfectly fine, aside from a bruise on my bum. I didn't actually fall down the "dangerous" part of the cliffs at all. I'll try to start at the beginning...
Yeserday (Saturday) I decided to use my "extra" travel day on my Britrail pass. After asking my new friend Jacki (who's actually studying in Wales with Ross) for a recommendation I chose Dover. I do not regret my choice. I was up till 2 am or so on MSN (curse the Internet despite my love for it) and so I didn't make the 6.30 train. I did, however, get to the station in time for the 7.30 to Dover. I arrived around 10.45 and headed to the Information center. I learned how to get to the beach and off I headed, ready to conquer the cliffs. I stopped by the Church of St. Mary the Virgin. Across the street the parish center was offering tea for 40 P. Knowing I would never again find such a deal I dropped in and met Joan, who was very welcoming and picked up on my American accent right away. We had a lovely conversation prior to my departure for the beach.
I spent the next 2 hours climbing up and down the white cliffs. When in doubt I chose the road less traveled and thorougly enjoyed myself. I found wild burrows, hills, rocks, cliffs, waves, shoreline, and took a ton of amazing pictures. It was on my way down that I ran into a bit of trouble. I decided to go "inland" and explore some hillside trails, hedged in by some lovely trees. It was on one of these "developed" paths that I slipped on a wooden step and landed before I knew what was happening.
I continued on and, after being asked to go get a drink with four lovely British gentlemen walked to the Prince of Wales Pier where I ate my lunch (thank you Marmee for teaching me the art of making wraps) whilst looking at France on the other side of the ocean.
Then I made my way back to the station in time to catch (or miss rather) the train for Canterbury. Knowing I wouldn't make it there in time for evensong, and realizing that the sun would set by 4.30 (cursed longituded and latitude of the UK) I headed back to the Dover Museum. It was quite the hodge podge experience. The history of Dover combined with period rooms and the Bronze age boat exhibit. I returned to the train station just in time to miss yet another train for Canterbury. From about 4.30 I spent the next 5 hours getting home. I made some wrong changes and had a few delays. I was happy to walk into my humble abode at 9.45.
Today was a splended, albeit rainy, Sunday. An unexpected breakfast of cornbread and tea, followed by church and a 2-hour coffee date with a new friend from Discuss. The rest of the afternoon I read and then helped prepare for (and participated in) afternoon tea, as is tradition at Crick on Sundays. Then it was off to a candlelight Evensong at Wadham College. To my great fortune Wadham offered a free dinner following the service. Oh how I love free wine. After my fair share I traipsed home, only to spend the night online. Not a bad way to invest one's Sabbath :)
6 comments:
My sabbath was spent sittin' on my bum doing absolutely nothing...except going to church.
Glad your weekend was magnÃfico!
The white cliffs...I recall them as quite a sight as we crossed the English channel...vey beautiful...and historic. Looks like it was little chllly from the pics. Too bad for the traveling...bet you were glad to get "home". Glad to hear you are ok. And you did this on your own? All of the hiking, etc?? Sure do enjoy reading about your adventures. Be safe!! Love ya.
amanda, i'm supposed to tell you that my mother greatly enjoys reading your blog.
:)
sarah.
What did you do for Thanksgiving?
Oh my gosh.
Update!
Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.
Post a Comment