October 29-November 3rd I had the rare priviledge of entertaining guests! What fun to reconnect with NWC friends on the other side of the Atlantic! Our days were full, so I will be somewhat brief in my descriptions of all we did. You may be able to find additional details (and at least a variation in perspective) on Sam's blogspot in the not so distant future.
Monday Sam arrived sometime after 4 pm. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting her until 7.30, so when I arrived at 7.40 I received a mixed reaction of frustrated and bewildered relief. That evening we chilled at Crick and the following morning I was off to St. Andrew's to spend an hour as the doorman. Our vicar pities me, but I love my job. It's a great way to meet people and I feel as though I really am a welcoming member of this church I've only attended for 8 weeks. I spent the next few hours reading Surprised by Joy on a bench under a large tree glazed in sunlight and then headed to Blackwell's (England's biggest bookshop) to wait for Sam in the Caffe Nero on the 2nd floor. She showed up with her friend Kelsey and we walked around Oxford, making our way to Frewin Court for afternoon tea, complete with chocolates, cakes, cookies, Banoffee (you've gotta try it) and cheesecake. We walked through the parks where Sam and the ducks shared "a moment" together. Then it was on to Christ Church for evensong and home for dinner. That night we dolled up and headed out to The Bridge - one of Oxford's most popular hot spots. It was just about everything I associate with the term "Euroclub," including a cover charge, cheap drinks, short skirts, sweaty people, loud music, flashing lights and a good time. Still, I don't think it will become habit.
Wednesday I had lectures. Sam and I partook of cream tea at Queens Lane Coffee House and went our separate ways for the afternoon. That evening I made what I consider a tasty (and improvised) pasta dish and we headed to the theater for the English National Ballet's performance of Snow Queen, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Thursday we grabbed sandwiches and it was off to London to find Sam's hostel, the British Museum and Ross Hunter. Though not in the most timely fashion, all were successfully located. We picked up 5th row tickets for Spamalot (only 30 pounds for 55 pound seats) and got some Tandoori before the show. Following a wonderfully entertaining performance we hunted down some ice cream and dropped Sam off at the hostel. Getting to Victoria's tube station was no problem. Finding the bus Ross and I were supposed to take home was another story. I had been so proud of my navigational skills (which are significantly better as far as London is concerned) up to that point. Luckily Ross was patient and the man on the corner helpful. We made it with time to spare. An hour and a half later, though, two twenty-something students were wondering Oxford in search of a hostel - location unknown.
Apparently things worked out for Ross, as he did show up at Blackwell's Friday around noon. We did a little sightseeing - the Bodleain library (which houses over 3 million books and owns over 8 million), Radcliffe Camera (my favorite library), city walls, High Street (which is entirely too long I've decided), and Sainsbury's (my local grocery). Following a baguette lunch we walked through the parks for a while. I was delighted to remember the leftover bread in my purse, which was soon divided amongst the waterfowl. It's remarkable how friendly birds are when you have food for them. A little down time and trip to Tolkien's house and we were off for cream tea at The Rose. Apparently we weren't the only two with the desire for tea at 5 pm. The Rose was hopping, after tasting their delicious scones, clotted cream, jam and tea I can see why. So good. By 6 pm we were wondering around the now dark streets of Oxford and passed by Christ Church. The Eucharist service had just started so we walked in and took a seat off to the side. I really ought to make it over there more often. My worship in Christ Church Cathedral is so different, so reverent and yet full of grace. Later that night I had Ross experience street side Kebab vendors. I think we were both pleased with the decision, and with the trip to the Eagle and Child that followed.
Saturday it was back to London, this time to meet up with Jacki and a showing of Macbeth. I had heard a great many things about the infamous Patrick Stewart leading up to the show and expected a stellar performance. Though we did see Stewart, it was only for a moment before the show, at which time he expressed his apologies for the fact that he would not be performing that afternoon due to illness. Of all the shows! Still, the theater was beautiful and the artistry of the performance wonderful. I have nothing to complain about. What was perhaps as unexpected as Stewart's indisposal was the fact that Brady and B. Good found us after the performance. I joined the Wales cohorts for an insanely large meal at Pizza Hut followed by a pint of Guiness in London's longest pub - The Dickens. At 11 pm I had to say my goodbyes and caught a train back to Oxford with all intentions of seeing them again in five weeks.

I slept for 8 hours Saturday night and 2 more Sunday afternoon. Despite the sometimes minimal amount of physical activity involved, traveling is exhausting.
Here I am, back in Oxford for a little over a month. So much to read, write, learn and experience before I head back home. I wonder what I will remember, regret and realize by the time my journey is over.
1 comment:
Dad says:
Wow...were you ever busy those days. No wonder you were so tired. Glad to hear you are enjoying the sites and sounds of the mother country. It sounds like your navigational skills are directly correlated to the amount of time you are in England. Love ya...be safe and God's blessings.
Post a Comment